Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Under the Tuscan Sun

I LOVE this movie, and had no idea it had been a book first, so when I saw it sitting on the shelf at the library, I had to get it!  I was so disappointed when I started reading Under the Tuscan Sun.  To compare the book to the movie would be like comparing yourself to a tree - you both need oxygen to survive.

There are very few similarities between the book and the movie, but the spirit remains the same.  The book brings to life more of the restoration process, which really intrigues the DIY-er side of my personality.  Frances Mayes' descriptions of Bramasole, and the adventures she finds make you feel like you're right there, along for the ride.  And, the way she describes the food makes your mouth water.  Luckily, she includes several delicious sounding recipes (I have yet to try any, but I'm hoping to)!

There are very few similarities between the book and the movie, but the spirit remains the same, which is why I recommend reading Under the Tuscan Sun.  Just remember to put aside your thoughts and feelings about the movie, whatever they may be, and read this book with fresh, open eyes.  You won't be sorry.

If you would like to see the real Bramasole, or the little cottage Mrs. Mayes stumbled upon during one of her walks through the countryside, then bought to restore, look here and here.



Up Next:  I Capture the Castle


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin