Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cannery Row

The only John Steinbeck book I recall ever reading is Of Mice and Men during my sophomore year. At the time (like most high school students who are forced to read a book), I didn't appreciate Steinbeck's story telling abilities.

Cannery Row surprised me. There really isn't much of a plot. It's just a book about the residents of a small California town, who are all down on their luck. We meet a variety of characters who rely on each other in order to make a living. Deals are made (although both sides of the agreements are not always kept) and some illegal acts are overlooked, but it all works together to keep the town going.

I love how Mr. & Mrs. Malloy moved into an old boiler, then rented out the larger pipes as sleeping quarters for the cannery's workers, and I got a kick out of Mrs. Malloy wanting to buy and put up curtains in their home even though there were no windows. Then there's Mack, Gay, Hazel, and Eddie. They had me shaking my head and laughing - a lot.

I am really glad that I wasn't forced to read this book in school. I don't think I would have appreciated it nearly as much, which would have been a shame. This is a very enjoyable book, and is on my Recommended list.









Up Next: Black Dagger Brotherhood: Lover Eternal (Book 2)





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin