Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Last Song

I debated for a while before finally deciding to read this book.  I love Nicholas Sparks, but could I get through the book without thinking about Miley Cyrus (the reason I refuse to see the movie)?  Then it occurred to me that if I ended up liking this book well enough to buy it, I'd probably be stuck with MC on the cover if I waited.  So, I bought it.

The Last Song takes us along as an obnoxious and rude teenage girl, Ronnie, is forced (along with her younger brother, Jonah, who is more than happy to go) to leave New York for the summer and spend it with her dad in North Carolina.  From a young age, Ronnie had an amazing musical ability.  Her father was a teacher at Julliard, and taught Ronnie to play the piano.  When he decides to leave Julliard in search of a career as a concert pianist, the marriage falls apart, and Ronnie blames him for her parents' divorce.

When she first arrives at her dad's home, she is downright mean to her dad, who is just trying to make up for the previous 3 years when Ronnie refused to have any contact with him.  He even builds a wall around his piano to prove that he loves her for who she is, and not for her talent.  The longer she is in North Carolina, the more she learns about what really happened between her parents, and finds a few surprises in her own life.

At the beginning of the book, I couldn't stand Ronnie and her bad attitude.  By the end, I found myself thrilled with her growth, amazed at her strength, crying for her heartbreak, and hoping for a happy ending.

The Last Song has landed itself on my Favorites list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin