Saturday, June 12, 2010

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Lover Unbound (Book 5)

I have to admit that by the time I started this book, the series had begun to grow on me.  I am no longer forcing myself to finish the series just because I had added the whole thing to my list.

Of all the Brothers, Vishous is my favorite, so I was excited to read his story in Lover Unbound.  Vishous is the go-to guy in the Brotherhood.  He's in charge of the security systems, computers, tattoos, and making the daggers each Brother carries, each one made specifically for the hand that holds it.  With his amount of intelligence, wit, toughness, and talent (not to mention his unconventional personal preferences), you know that his shellan will have to be someone who is as remarkable, and as accepting, as he is.

Given all the build-up V had recieved in the previous books, I had high hopes that this would be the best in the series thus far.  I was quite disappointed.  While there were some interesting moments as we learned about Vishous' past, his journey with Jane felt like it was just thrown together.  With all that V had experienced, I find it quite unbelievable that he felt very little (if any) inner conflict when it came to falling for Jane.

I'm too disappointed with the book to try telling you what happens without spoiling the book, so below is the jist of what happens:

***SPOILER ALERT***

Vishous mistakenly brought into human hospital.  Brother's come to get him, and he insists that they take his doctor, Jane Whitcomb.  

Vishous is furious when he finds out the Scribe Virgin is his mother.  He hates her, especially when he learns he is to be the new Primale (after he had fallen for Jane).


Jane's new neighbors turn out to be lessers, but the brothers don't realize it until it's too late.  Jane is shot and killed by the lessers right in front of V, but the Scribe Virgin turns Jane into a ghost (who is usually transparent, but can turn solid when she wants to) as an attempt to show her love for Vishous.


Phury is kicked out of the Brotherhood because of his addiction, and offers to take Vishous' place as the new Primale, which sets up the story for the next book.


***END OF SPOILER***

I found the story to be quite disjointed, which just made the poor grammatical editing and product placement even more annoying than usual.  If you're a fan of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, I would recommend reading Lover Unbound, since it is a part of the series.  Just don't expect much.





Up Next:  Black Dagger Brotherhood: Lover Enshrined (Book 6)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin