Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Help

The Help has been recommended to me by many different people who usually have nothing in common when it comes to their reading preferences, so I figured that it must be a really good book.  I wasn't at all disappointed. I read the first chapter last Friday, got to to Chapter 5 by Sunday, and finished the rest yesterday.

The Help tells us a story about the lives of three women, Aibileen, Miss Skeeter, and Minny during the early 1960's in Jackson, Mississippi.  Aibileen and Minny are black maids who work for two of Miss Skeeter's friends, and one of their friends works for Miss Skeeter.  When Miss Skeeter starts taking notice of the unpleasantness of segregation, she begins a project that turns her childhood friends against her, but she gains the respect of some women she never thought she'd call "friend".

I think that this is an excellent book, definitely one that I will read multiple times.  Kathryn Stockett wrote an amazing book that leaves you wanting more.  If you haven't read it, yet, you should.  Don't bother checking it out from a library (there are 8 people on a waiting list for this book at my small local library!), just buy it.  You'll be glad you did.

Up Next:  The Boarder 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin