Friday, July 1, 2011

Growing Up Amish


At 2:00 in the morning, 17-year-old Ira Wagler tucks a note under his pillow, and leaves home.  He spends the next decade struggling to find himself and his place in the world.

I really enjoyed Growing Up Amish.  I didn't know much about the Amish world, and found that at least some of my assumptions were wrong.  Author Ira Wagler gives us a peek into a lifestyle that most of us would otherwise know nothing about.

Mr. Wagler takes us along on his journey trying to figure out if he belongs in the Amish world or the English world.  He shows us the love, forgiveness, and strict structure of the Amish families and their church.

I found this book quite easy to read in that it flowed from chapter to chapter well.  I had to put it down for 5 days while I was away chaperoning a camp.  When I picked it back up, I was able to jump right back in without having to go back for reminders of what had happened.

Growing Up Amish is a great book for summer, and is on bookshelves today!

Advance copy provided by publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin