Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Oriental Wife


The Oriental Wife begins in 1930's Nuremberg, and tells the story of two Jewish children, Louisa and Rolf, who flee Hilter's Germany.  They spend the next several years struggling to put down new roots and begin rebuilding their lives.

When Louisa travels to New York, she meets up again with Rolf.  They soon fall in love with each other, and begin planning the rest of their lives together in America.  Just as it looks as though they'll live out the rest of the their days living the American dream, a freak accident and a betrayal shatters the life that they hold so dear.

I honestly can't say that I loved this book, but I can say that I disliked it, either.  It took me a little while to get into it, but then I had a hard time putting it down...until I got to Part 3.  That's where the author started to lose me again.  While it was nice to know where Louisa and Rolf ended up, the whole Emma story line was a bit much.  I skipped large chunks of that story line because it felt as though the author was trying to add in a whole new story.

All in all, I'm glad I took the time to read The Oriental Wife.  However, I don't think this is one that I'll be reading again.

Copy provided by publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin